Nov 1, 2008

Dinner Tonight - Instant Penang Prawn Mee


By the time I was done feeding the dogs, watering the garden (it didn't rain all 4 days when I was away) and showering, it was close to 7.30pm. My first thought of dinner was pizza delivery, but only to be disappointed when Pizza Hut said they do not deliver to my area. Hmmph!

Already clad in my 'been-through-100-cycles-in-the-machine' pyjamas, I wasn't in a mood to go change into 'fit-for-public-appearance' clothes. So that leaves what's left in the kitchen larder, which turned out to be instant noodles of some sort. I decided to cook myself instant Penang Prawn Mee from a packet. Relatively good on its own, but better if one makes a little extra effort. For tonight, a fistful of spring onions would do.


To add the extra ummph! to this instant noodles:

Boil some prawns with water. Drain cooked prawns and maintain the prawn stock.
Prepare a stock with pork/chicken ribs and the prawn stock. Better still if you have leftover bak-kut-teh soup.
With stock: Use the stock in place of water to cook the soup (add the seasonings from the instant noodles in the stock)
With bak-kut-teh: Use half portion of bak-kut-teh soup with another half portion of prawn stock. Boil together with the seasoning from the instant noodles.

Serve with cooked kangkung, shelled boiled prawns, sliced meat (pork/chicken) and fried onions. If you get the seasoning right, it tastes almost like the penang prawn noodles (hokkien mee) you get in Penang.

No comments: