Nov 6, 2008

Dinner Tonight - Steamed Fish w/ Nyonya Sauce



With hubby back at home, dinners at home are now longer and less lonely :P. While for two weeks, whenever I ate at home, those were quickie dinners and quieter too. But for the next 3 weeks we can have dinner as a family - just the 2 of us. Tonight, I decided to steam the 'ikan merah' that I bought last week from the market. On work days, nothing beats pre-packed sauces; and tonight I feel like some spicy sour nyonya curry sauce. You can get those from any supermarket and grocery shops, my favorite brands are Uncle Sun's and Good Mum. For that little extra touch of home, I simmered the sauce for a little while with onion wedges, one diced tomato and a stick of lemon grass. Plus, a side vege dish sauteed with garlic and 'ikan bilis' (anchovies). Eating at home sure saves you some money...RM3 for the sauce, RM4 for the fish, RM2 for the vegetables...not even ten bucks!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My hubs travels a lot for work too, and when he's home, I tend to cook up a storm :P

The steamed fish is really droolworthy! I miss Malaysian food :(

LiQ said...

Yes it gets rather boring eating alone.... sometimes I just make do with sandwiches.
You can get those sauces the next time you are back home.. should not be a problem with customs since it's cooked stuff right? I do think you can get fish like perch in Italy. Aiya any white meat fish would do.. :)Just boil and pour over... voila!

Elaine Gan said...

Your fish looks yum!! I'm such a lazybum when cooking asian.. ;)